Worldwide Conflict Resolution
Our clients are global actors. It is therefore vital, that our counselling also encompasses the special characteristics of the commercial trade beyond national borders. Thümmel Schütze advises on all legal aspects of cross-border economic activity, include:
- assessing, designing and implementing investment decisions
- structuring international distribution systems or establishing branch offices
- arranging international license agreements
- advising on the liability risks of foreign markets.
A core component of our international law practice is the cross-border prosecution of claims. We have substantial, long-term experience dealing with international and European procedural law in the interests of our clients, enforcing our clients’ civil law claims against foreign debtors, and fending off international disputes, including the legal issues arising from them. We have extensive knowledge of the options available to mitigate the risks arising from civil procedures conducted in foreign forums, particularly US lawsuits.
With our office in Singapore as well as our good relations with leading foreign offices and colleagues, we are glad to support our clients in international law. We are members of the worldwide lawyer network, TerraLex. Apart from our expertise in European countries, we have extensive expertise in South and Southeast Asia and the USA
Thümmel Schütze has an excellent reputation in arbitration, which is based on decade-long experience. Arbitration procedures follow their own international regulations. Overseeing these regulations as well as arbitrators from different regions of the world requires knowledge, experience and empathy. Teamwork and collaboration with foreign colleagues and consultants are vital for large cross-border procedures. Our team is very familiar with these challenges, and the firm has personnel with the necessary language skills to meet these challenges. Several partners of the firm regularly function as arbitrators.
Our arbitrary team represents domestic and foreign enterprises in ad hoc and institutional arbitration, of which the following are examples:
- The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC),
- The German Institution of Arbitration (DIS),
- The Austrian Federal Economic Chamber (VIAC),
- The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA),
- The China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC),
- The Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC),
- The American Arbitration Association (AAA).
The firm’s engagement in special forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including dispute adjudication, has grown significantly with the increased use of ADR. We assist our clients in the successful resolution of disputes regarding:
- joint ventures,
- complex construction agreements for large-scale projects,
- licencing agreements,
- distribution and agency agreements and connected financing and security instruments,
- failed mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions and shareholder disputes.
- National Court
- Alternative Dispute Resolution