Dr. Thomas R. Klötzel
Thomas R. Klötzel studied at the Universities of Tübingen and Geneva. Thomas R. Klötzel is a frequent speaker at seminars and publishes his work in areas of international relations. He was admitted as a registered foreign lawyer in Singapore in 2009. In 2021, he was a member of the Rules Revision Committee of Arbitration Rules of the Asian International Arbitration Centre in Kuala Lumpur. Thomas R. Klötzel acts as an honorary executive board member of the International Bach Academy Stuttgart.
Thomas R. Klötzel’s practice focuses on international civil procedure law and commercial arbitration. He acts as an arbitrator and party representative. Furthermore, he advises on national and international transactions, including corporate-related financial instruments.
His clients include enterprises with international practices with a focus on Asia, India, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan in particular. This includes the foundation of subsidiary companies, the structuring and negotiation of joint venture contracts, as well as supplementary contracts like license and distribution contracts. He also represents enterprises in complex disputes before court, especially patent disputes, as well as before courts of arbitration (ICC, DIS; SIAC, VIAC, CIETAC, ad hoc).
German, English, French
+49 (0)711 1667 111
Main areas of activity
- Worldwide Conflict Resolution
- Corporate & Commercial
- Patent Litigation
- Thomas R. Klötzel was honoured again in 2022 by the Handelsblatt in “Germany’s best lawyers” (arbitration proceedings/ dispute participation/ mediation)
- International Bar Association
- Association of German-British Lawyers
- Association of German-Singapore Lawyers (executive manager)
- German institution of arbitral jurisdiction and the Swiss association for arbitral jurisdiction
- Interzessionsformen in England und ihre kollisionsrechtliche Behandlung, 1987
- Länderberichte Malaysia und Singapore in International Commercial Arbitration, Standard Clauses and Forms, Conrad/Münch/Black-Branch (Hrsg.), 2013;
- Aktive und passive Rechtsbehelfe im Schiedsrecht - Singapurische Erwägungen und deutscher Abschied von der Präklusionsrechtsprechung in Festschrift II für Rolf A. Schütze, 2014
- „Sharī-ah Compliant Arbitration” in Arbitration in Malaysia - A Practical Guide, in Rajoo/Koh (Hrsg.) 2016;
- Schiedsordnung des Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration bei Schütze (Hrsg.), Institutionelle Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit, 3. Auflage 2018;
- The Reference to the Sharī-ah Advisory Council under Rule 11 of the i-Arbitration Rules the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration in Festschrift für Gerhard Wegen, 2015
- Sharī-ah Compliant Arbitration in Arbitration in Malaysia - A Practical Guide, Rajoo/Koh (Eds.) 2016;
- UNCITRAL Model Law & Arbitration Rules - The Arbitration Act 2005 (Amended 2011 & 2018) and the AIAC Arbitration Rules, Rajoo/Klötzel, 2019
- Justitiae dilatio est quaedam negatio – Considerations on expedited arbitral procedures – Festschrift für Roderich C. Thümmel, 2020